Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Dance your cares away, work is for another day...."

"....let the Fraggles play, down at Fraggle Rock."

Don't worry it will be in your head all day now.

We went to the library on Monday to check out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the final installment of the series. I finished book six on Sunday and am 300 pages into the seventh already. It seems a little fast, but the books are an easy read and hard to put down.

So this will be the third book out of ten for the year. At this rate I will be done with all ten by the end of April. Maybe I should expand the perimeters of said goal to a hefty twenty books. On the other hand ten will be easy to accomplish and boost my self-esteem. Anything over ten will be gravy....mmmm, gravy.

Anyway, I walked past the library's collection of children DVDs, instantly spotting the complete first season of Fraggle Rock.

I LOVE FRAGGLE ROCK!

I used to watch the show all the time when I was younger (like in my early twenties). Gobo, Red, Wembley, Boober, the Doozers, Doc and Sprocket...They were all my friends....my only friends (sniffle).

We popped in the DVD as soon as we got home. G-man loved the Fraggles too! We have so much in common. Whats not to love I say? They are Muppets, they dance and sing goofy songs, and each episode has a positive moral, or social message. Remember when TV used to be like that?

So we are making our way through the 24 episodes of the complete first season. Each song they sing fills my heart with joy. Each post card from Uncle Traveling Matt that Gobo retrieves from "outer space" takes me back to my youth. It really is a great show and I am glad that G-man is able to experience the magic that is Fraggle Rock.

Does anybody else remember Fraggle Rock? If so, which Fraggle do you most relate to, and why? I expect at least one paragraph with specific examples from episodes that back up your choice. Don't forget to cite your sources.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

to dam old for that but kinda remember pixie watching it pop

JQ said...

Pop— You don't know what you're missing.

I would have to say your a Doozer. They never stop working.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I may have to stab my eardrums out with a pencil before the end of the week.

Oh, and are you reading ahead? I'm only on page 277

JQ said...

Pixie- Just don't do that over our new couch.

What? Are you the page number police?

Anonymous said...

Do I REMEMBER it?! I'm the proud owner of the first season. Now I'll have to get those dvds out and watch them again... just to get that damned song out of my head. My but your blog has a plethora of ear worms.

Naynayfazz said...

I watched Fraggle Rock but I don't remember it well enough to talk about the characters. Sorry! I did know some dude in high school that looked like a Fraggle.

Bob said...

I'm an old fart, so I never watched it.

The Ferryman said...

I've never watched it, so I won't have the tune in my head.

Ha! Take that!

JQ said...

Fig- Yes my blog does have a copious amount of ear worms. I'm currently taking medication for them.

Naynayfazz- Damnit woman!! Go rent them and get back to me!

Nobody- Old?! Yer only a couple years my senior. You are a senior though....

Fab- Damn you Fab, foiled me again!

Anonymous said...

I woke up singing this... curse you JQ!

Anonymous said...

I liked Gobo, only because I had a Gobo stuffed (animal?). Also, his Uncle was awesome. I loved the concept of "outer space." I also never understood how the old man didn't realize that his dog, Sprocket, was a puppet.

Many people didn't see the Fraggles because they were on HBO when we were kids. When we were little, every time HBO showed a movie, they had this opening sequence where they kind of flew, first-person through the silver HBO logo, playing some cool orchestra music. We were so ingrained in Fraggle Rock that every time that played, my brother shouted "Fraggle Rock!"

My library loves me. I go every Saturday (2 books a week for me, which comes to 108 books a year, I don't think I should shoot higher than that). What's really cool is that because I live in a fairly rural area, our library doesn't have a huge selection, and no music selection. I often order materials (books, CDs, movies) from other libraries. This is free! Every Saturday, my wife and daughter and I go to the counter and they have my holds ready for me. This Saturday, I've got 2 ELO cds and Stephen King's Duma Key. My wife also has a book. They all know us. Is that sad, or good? I just figure that my taxes pay for the library, and I like books, movies and music, so I utilize my tax dollars. We also donate a lot of books to the library that we don't want. I think it's good that my kid learns that the library is a great place. I think I did a library post on my blog a while back. I'll stop now.

Jesus, this comment is a blog post. Sorry.

Lynda said...

I knew about Fraggle Rock, but I never watched Fraggle Rock.

Glad the little G-man likes them though!

Mel said...

I LOVED fraggle rock and my kids did too!

And yes DAMN you that song is stuck in noggin now!

Its been awhile though so I dont remember any characters just that I loved it. My memory sucks.

JQ said...

Fig- Ha ha ha (diabolical laughter).

TF- I don't remember what channel they were on, I never thought about that. I do remember having the little HBO converter box the size of a VCR with one knob in the front.

So far as the old man goes, we're talking about a guy who for four years did not patch a two square foot hole in his wall. Nor did he question the post cards sent to Gobo by Traveling Matt. And now that I sit here typing, the fact that the dog had opposable thumbs never dawned on the tinkerer either.

I think it's great you guys go to the library so often. I want my family to be like that too. Not that I want to emulate your family, but reading is vital to creating a strong educational foundation and the best place to do that is the library.
I doesn't want my boy to be no dumby, likens his old man.

Lynda- That's it, I am having a Fraggle rock party for you and Naynayfazz, Nobody and Fab.

MEl- Yay Mel! You'll be singing that song for days now. It has been over almost a week for me.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember that big 'ol box.

The geeky-cool thing about going to the library every week is that we're "regulars." Everyone knows us, and I think I mentioned that when I have reserve material ordered, they have it in hand without me asking them to retrieve it. It's like Cheers, without the alcohol or Woody Harrelson.

JQ said...

TF- "...and they're always glad you came."

Lynda said...

Hey, we are neighbors so I might actually be able to make it!