Monday, March 24, 2008

"NA na na na na na, you say it's your birthday."


Today is my son's first birthday. I cannot believe that he is one year old today. Just yesterday Pixie and I were pacing around the house waiting for the hospital to call and let us know we could come in and start the process. I don't think I ever smoked so much or slept so little. Just yesterday I was pacing the hospital floor drinking coffee, reassuring Pixie, massaging, talking, doing whatever I could for her, and trying not to fall asleep on my feet as Pixie rocked through nineteen plus hours of labor before she finally agreed on taking the epidural and having labor induced (you stubborn little shit G-man). Just yesterday I saw my wife laying on the operating table splayed open like a fish and twitching uncontrollably; my son being pulled from the womb; my eyes teary with a love I had never known. Just yesterday we stayed awake all night—too afraid to sleep— holding each other and staring at our beautiful son.
I can't believe it has been a year already. So much has happened in the past 365 days. Far too much to recap all in one post. All I can say is that being a father has changed my life; I am a better man because of you G-man. Thank you.
I could say that I can't wait to watch you grow up, but I can. I don't want you to grow up too fast. I want to be selfish and have you stay my little buddy forever. I know that won't happen, though you'll always be my little buddy. I love you so much. Happy birthday sweetie.

11 comments:

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

You made me cry...

The Ferryman said...

Yay! Happy Birthday!

I love that kid.

Silicone Alley said...

You made me cry too. Feliz Cumpleanos little man!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your little man! They grow up so dang fast.

Tim said...

Very nice JQ. Happy Birthday to G man.

Anonymous said...

Made me cry, too.

What a sweet post!

Naynayfazz said...

Aw shucks JQ, now you've done it! I am teary too! Happy birthday little Gideon.

Mel said...

Happy birthday little man! You are right, they grow up too fast, my "baby" boy will be 19 next month!

Enjoy this time while you can. I miss those days and they went by so fast, everything was rush rush rush it seemed...

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe I missed it! My mind was ummm... elsewhere... at the time, heh

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Lynda said...

I read this on his birthday, and just now again. You wrote such a touching post. Happy birthday to the little guy. I still think he is growing up too fast.

JQ said...

Pixie- I cried a little when I wrote it.

Fab- Yay! Me too.

Silicone Alley- G-man says "Gracias para los deseos de cumpleaƱos."
Yeah, he's fluent in Spanish.

Fig- Thanks. Tell me about it.

Tim- Thanks buddy.

Shades- Thanks, I didn't mean to make everyone shed a tear, I was just in a rush to get something down before work.

Naynayfazz- Thanks. I actually meant for you to cry. :)

Mel- Thanks. Trust me, I enjoy every moment with him.

Dutchy- Thanks. You are forgiven for being preoccupied.

Lynda- Thanks. I do too.