Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Sometimes my life it feels like fiction..."

My first official semester as a student in the Music Education Program at our local University ended today. It was a great experience! I met scores of intelligent, talented people. I learned a lot about myself and my guitar. I got nervous, got excited, had a kick-ass recital with the Guitarkestra, and then learned more about who I really am.
My typical day consisted of getting G-man ready for the day, going to school, going to work, going back to school, getting G-man from daycare (every Monday and Wednesday), getting his dinner, bath and bedtime together, practicing 'till the wee hours of the morning and then doing the whole thing again the next day. I stayed up too late for months practicing and studying. I learned how to learn. I am learning (it's an on-going process) how to deal with incredible amounts of stress.
My relationship with my lovely wife has been stretched (don't worry we are okay).
My relationship with my family—my siblings and parental units— has become almost non-existent (don't worry we are okay).
I can play a major scale at least fifteen different ways on my guitar.
I can play any given chord at least two different ways.
I can actually read music now.
I can play the piano....a little.
I have only begun to scratch the surface of understanding my guitar and music.
I feel good about myself for not giving up.
I lost my job and became unemployed.
I need a job.
I turn 30 tomorrow.

I know I am rambling but I don't care. I just need to post something.

I am going outside for a cigarette and then down to my cave to practice until Pixie gets home.

7 comments:

Bob said...

Congrats on surviving the first semester. You're a better man than me, I probably would have snapped and killed a half dozen or so people.

But let me get this straight, you've been playing guitar for how long now but you couldn't read music? Are you one of those people that can just play by ear? My brother is that way.

Have a happy birthday.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
We are so proud of you.

JQ said...

Nobody- Yes, I'm one of those guys. I only made it with the support of Pixie, she truly is my better half!
Thank you, I plan on having a great birthday!

Cindy- Thank you!

Naynayfazz said...

This is a flippin' awesome post. I loved hearing about your first semester. I think you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself and the family. Also, all of those musical accomplishments.... hello... fabulous. That is such a big deal.

But holy crap, sorry you lost your job. I hear ya. Times are so tough I could just cry. Things here are pretty bad money wise since I left my job in September and decided to follow my dream of owning a business. Yeah, um, what was I thinking? ;)

Keep your chin up though, it seems like life happens in phases; you have the good, then the shitty and back again. It'll be alright!

Happy birthday. See my message on Pixie's page.

JQ said...

Naynayfazz- Thanks for your kind words. Music, as you know, is a never-ending practice session. The more time I spend going over the same concept the better I get. And I really do enjoy the whole learning process. It's amazing to be able to play pieces I never thought I could.
I am worried about money, but I have a feeling that everything is going to turn out just fine.

Anonymous said...

That was a year with highs and lows... Then again: life Huh?

You are a great person, with a great family!

And I can't believe you are only turning 30!!! Bitch!

Happy belated birthday!!!

JQ said...

Dutchy- Long time no see...er, uh read. Thanks for the birthday wishes, it really does mean a lot to me!