Monday, August 18, 2008

"Baby it's the guitar man"

Yesterday I went to a bar about twelve miles south of Toledo, in the quaint little town of Waterville for a bi-weekly open mic night. The bar was mostly empty save a few friends of the DJ/Guitar player there to sing and take turns playing. After consuming a pint of liquid courage I stepped up to the mic and performed the demo version of "Mystical One" from the George Harrison album Gone Troppo.

I was still to shy to sing, but the song is pretty and went over well. It was slightly odd not playing on my guitar—this guitar had very low action which I don't care for—so I went out to my truck and retrieved mine.

I quickly lost my nerves and paitently waited for my next turn. This time I did one of my songs, which recieved a pretty good response from my peers. I only have two verses to that particular song at this point but it felt good to play my music in public for people who are not personal friends of mine. That was to change quickly though as the two other guitar players, three singers and I hit it off. I sat in on every song after that. It was an interesting experience and a great exercise in some of the many areas that I need to work on including but not limited to: networking, playing outside of my comfort zone, putting my music out there (even if only to a mostly empty bar), and playing new-to-me music. Some songs I had never heard of, some I had never played, others I haven't played in a long time, but all the songs were fun. We went an hour and a half past the alloted time, but no one seemed to mind.

By the end of the night we were a little tipsy, a little from the drinks but mostly from the high of having fun playing music. Everyone was glad that I played and sang and seemed to be excited at the prospect of having a new person to jam with every other sunday. I felt very welcomed by the crowd and will most likely go back for the next jam. This has given me the motivation to try and find other open mic nights to play.

Living the dream.

13 comments:

Silicone Alley said...

That's awesome you definitely have more ball then I do. (hehe)

You should have someone record you and post it for us blog folks.

JQ said...

Silicone Alley- I have played stages before, but not in a long time.

I'm working on that.

Nobody- I thought so....

microdot said...

I'm jest wanderin' throoo...
I saw your comment on History Mike and hit your link...one thing led to another...aw garsh heck you know how it is....
I enjoyed your post here because I ma going through a rediscovery of George Harrison as a composer and artist.
Have you ever heard his soundtrack for the movie Wonderwall from the late 60's?
It's one of absolutely all time favorite records.

JQ said...

Microdot- Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere, glad to have you here.
I pink puffy heart George's music. He was very profound, yet highly underrated. I think he did more for the music industry than any other solo artist.
I have not heard that album....yet.

microdot said...

I'm more of a "Guitarzan" kinda guy than "Guitar Man".

Wonderwall was a movie made in the late 60's starring among others, Jane Birkin, who I am still in love with.
It was to say the least, psychedelic.

Very eclectic mix of instrumental styles...deranged country and western, various indian styles, classical based harpsichord and Eric Clapton........

I found some clips on You Tube.

microdot said...

One more thing...
Have you ever heard the Jackie Lomax record "Sourmilk Sea"?....it wasm one of the first Apple Records releases.

Loamz was a child hoood friend of George's and had a huge voice and George wrote a set of songs with him.
The record was pretty notable because the Back up musicians were Ringo, George and Eric Clapton to name a few...the back up harmonies were George and John Lennon...
I cannot find this anywhere and it was great!

JQ said...

Microdot- All I can say about "Wonderwall" is 'Anyone for some kool-aid?'

Never heard of Loamz before, but I love discovering new-to-me nouns.

It is funny that you mention Guitarzan, because I have some Ray Stevens on my iPod.

Keep the fun facts coming brother!

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I'm so proud of you. Keep striving for the dream baby.

BTW, my AS word is "bquosh". I like it. Sounds squishy.

JQ said...

I love you.

Thank you.

Squishy like a shart or squishy like a baby octopus?

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Baby octopus for sure! I almost wrote, "like a squid or something" when I left that comment. You can just hear the aquatic goodness when you say it.

bquosh…

Naynayfazz said...

I am proud of you. Good times, man. Maybe one day we can sing together. You and Pixie have to come and visit, or vice versa and we'll rock out with our.... socks out. ;)

JQ said...

Naynay- Thanks! It certainly isn't easy. People have said it would be hard be I never realized how hard it would be.
I would love to jam with you one day....

microdot said...

and another thing....
My mistake, the Jackie Lomax record was called "Is This What You Want?"

There are some clips on YouTube of some of the cuts on the record as well as George Harrisons Demo of Sourmilk Sea which was originally written for the Beatles.

YouTube can be a magnificent waste of time...then I stumbled on a completely insane version of House Of The Rising Sun sung by John Lennon imitating Eric Burden and being totally idiotic! Trop cool!